SandersFamilyGenealogy
Genealogy isn't something you do, it's something you love.
First Name:  Last Name: 

Sanders Family Genealogy Facebook THATGenealogist Twitter

William Foy

Male 1791 - 1869

HomeHome    SearchSearch    PrintPrint    Login - User: anonymousLogin    BookmarkBookmark

Personal Information    |    Media    |    Sources    |    All    |    PDF

  • Birth  20 Dec 1791  Vermont or New Hampshire Find all individuals with events at this location  [1, 2, 3, 4
    Gender  Male 
    Residence  1800  ? Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Residence  1810  ? Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Residence  1812  Centerville, New York Find all individuals with events at this location  [5
    Residence  1818  Cattaraugus County or Allegany County, New York Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Purchased  1819  Napoli, Cattaraugus County, New York Find all individuals with events at this location  [6
    • lot #57
    Residence  1820  Little Valley, Cattaraugus County, New York Find all individuals with events at this location  [7
    Residence  1830  Napoli, Cattaraugus County, New York Find all individuals with events at this location  [8
    Purchased  1839  McDonough County, Illinois - 160 acres Find all individuals with events at this location  [2
    Residence  1840  McDonough County, Illinois Find all individuals with events at this location  [9, 10
    Residence  1850  Hancock County, Illinois Find all individuals with events at this location  [11
    Residence  Between 1850-1855  Prophetstown, Whiteside County, Illinois Find all individuals with events at this location  [2
    Residence  1855  Prophetstown, Whiteside County, Illinois Find all individuals with events at this location  [12
    Residence  1860  Prophetstown, Whiteside County, Illinois Find all individuals with events at this location  [13
    Occupation  Farmer  [11
    Religion  Presbyterian  [14
    Biography  William Foy a native of Vermont, came to this town in 1819, and located on lot 57. His son John was the first white child born in the town of Napoli. Mr. Foy died in Illinois. Four brothers of Foy, Benjamin, David, Jonathan, and Samuel, settledon the same lot in 1819, but all removed except Samuel, who now resides on lot 57. [as of 1879]  [15
    Local History  Napoli, Cattaraugus County, New York Napoli is an interior town, lying west of the centre of the county, in the eighth range of the Holland Survey. It embraces all of township 3, and contains 23,063 acres. As erected from the town of Little Valley, it embraced all of townships 1,2, and 3, and in the eighth range, and bore the name of Cold Spring until April 15, 1828, when it received the title it now bears. It was reduced to its present area March 20, 1837, when townships 1 and 2 were set off to form the new town of ColdSpring.The surface of Napoli is elevated, and appears in the form of broken upland. Some of the hills rise several hundred feet above the general level, and the summit on lot 4 is nearly 700 feet above the valley, and is reported the highest point inthe county. Many of these hills are arable to their tops but the soil of some is so cold that they are comparatively sterile; others are clothed with a rich verdure, and yield abundant grazing. The soil of the valleys is less clayey, and isgenerally a fertile, gravelly loam; and the land here, though limited in area, is as productive as any in the county. The town was originally covered with fine forests of beech, maple oak, chestnut; hemlock and pine abounding in limitedquantities. A liberal supply of most of these yet remains.The general drainage of the town is south, and is afforded mainly by Cold Spring Creek and its tributary brooks. This stream rises from a large cool spring, in the northern part of the town, and flows south through its centre into the town of ColdSpring, where it empties into Allegany River. Formerly the volume of water in this stream was much greater than at present, and limited water-power was afforded. It also contained an abundance of fine fish. From the northeast and the east hillsof the town flow brooks, fed by numerous springs, into Little Valley Creek and SawMill Run; and in the northwest are a few brooks, which flow into Elm Creek in Connewango.PIONEER SETTLERS And inCIDENTS.More than sixty years have elapsed since the first white man made his home in the dense forests of this town. in 1818, Major Timothy Butler came from Onondaga County, and located on lot 27, a little east of the present Napoli Corners. We knownothing concerning his antecedent life, but he removed to the State of Virginia and from there to southern in, where he died. While in town he was an active man, and his place was widely known in the county as a conspicuous pioneer landmark.George Hill, the second white person in Napoli, located on lot 29, in 1818. He set the first orchard in town. Where he came from or went, we have been unable to learn.in the spring of 1819, Sargeant Morrill located on lot 50, on what is now the Jamestown road, southwest of Napoli Corners. He was born in Vermont in 1755, and died in Napoli in 1835. Ruth, his wife, was born in 1760, and died in town, July 4,1828. His son, Martin M., lives in Illinois, aged ninety years. John is living at Napoli Corners, and Joanna, a daughter, in in. Mr. Morrill, Major Butler, and Timothy Boardman, in 1819, cut a road, seven miles long, from Little Valley toNapoli, these three and their families being the only persons in town at that time. When Mr. Morrill arrived in town, having no team, he obtained the help of eight men and boys a day, who hauled logs with a chain and rope, and put up the body fora house. He put on a cob-roof and laid a log floor, and moved in. He was the first deacon of the Congregational Church, in 1821. The first grist of grain carried to mill from Napoli was three bushels of corn, taken on a mule to the Quaker Mill,twelve miles away, by John, a son of Sargeant Morrill Soon after leaving the mill, on his way home, it became dark, and John, being unable to follow the indian path, mounted the mule and was carried safely home, arriving some time in the night.The next grist was three bushels of corn for each of the three settlers. It was taken on an ox-sled to the same mill, the men cutting the road as they went. After John Morrill was married he wanted some cotton cloth in the house, so he took thejob of cutting 1 1/2 acres of timber for $7.50, boarding himself. He took the money, went to Batavia, a distance of over 60 miles, on foot, and carried his goods home on his back. Sargeant Morrill and his son for several weeks brought on theirbacks all the provisions for the family from Little Valley, a distance of nine miles.Timothy Boardman, from Onondaga County, located on lot 43, in 1819. He was a native of Connecticut; born in 1781, and died, in town, October, 1841. His wife, Rachel Hopkins, died in town in April 1827. Their son Leicester died in town, July,1841; Orson is living in in; Judah is living at Napoli Corners; Chauncy, in Cold Spring; Susan, in Illinois; and Fidelia, in Salamanca; Fannie, who taught the first school in town, is living in Iowa. Mr. Boardman had to get hands from somedistance to raise his log shanty. It was dark by the time they had it up, and having no provision of any kind they camped for the night without supper.Harvey Parmelee located on lot 51 in 1819. He came from Ontario County. He moved to Chautauqua County, where he died. His wife, Annie Harrington, is still living in that county. Mr. Parmelee was a leading and an active member of the MethodistEpiscopal Church, and for many years a class-leader.Lyman Parmelee, a brother of Harvey, settled on lot 52 in the year 1819. He was from Ontario County, and some years later returned to that county, where he died.John Warner, from Ischua, located on lot 19 in 1819. He built a small log house, in which was taught the first school in town. There were but three families that had children to send, - Mr. Warner's, Timothy Butler's, and Timothy Boardman's.Harlow Butler, from Ontario County, settled on lot 51 in 1819. He moved to the Western Reserve, in Ohio.Peter Beardsley, from Erie County, located on lot 38 in 1819. He was born in Delaware County, September, 1795, and died in town, February, 1873. His wife, Maria Boardman, died in Nebraska, but her remains were brought to this town for burial.One daughter is living in town, and three sons and one daughter in Nebraska.Loren Noble came from Ontario County in 1820, and located on lot 33. He married Miss Fannie Boardman, and moved to Iowa in 1854, where they now reside.Artemus Houghton, from Niagara, located on lot 49 in 1820. He was elected one of the first deacons in the Congregational Church, in 1821. He died at Willow Creek, Pa., and his wife at Quaker Run.Dr. Phineas F. Noble came from Ontario County in 1820, and located on lot 34. He was made a military captain, being the first officer in town. Company trainings were then held at Franklinville. He moved to Iowa, and now resides there. Erastus,a son, resides in Ohio.Levi Stevens was born in Cooperstown, Otsego County, Aug. 4, 1794. He married Miss Sally Rice in 1819, and together they came to Napoli in 1820, settling on lot 21, where L.H. Wilcox now resides. Mr. Stevens was a man of remarkable industry.But few men did as much to clear away the forests and bring Cattaraugus up to its present cultivated state as he. His death occurred Nov. 18, 1877, and that of his wife in April, 1833. His oldest son, Judge Wm. Stevens, resides on lot 13, inNapoli; Charles lives in Cayuga County; A.G. in Michigan; S.H., a Free-Will Baptist minister, in Nebraska; G.W. in Michigan; M.P. in Napoli; and J.D. in Little Valley.A Mr. Hall came to Napoli from Ontario in 1819, and had booked a piece of land on lot 59. He returned to Ontario, and the same year two sons, Horace and Joe, came on to commence improvements. Not liking the land located by their father, theybegan on lot 50. They chopped a few acres, put up the body for a log house, and in the fall returned to Ontario County. in the spring of 1820, Horace and Erastus, younger brothers, came on and finished the house, and moved in. He died at EastRandolph in 1878, aged eighty-one years. in the year 1825, the father again came to Cattaraugus County, but settled in Cold Spring, on lot 64, where he died in 1856.William Foy, a native of Vermont, came to this town in 1819, and located on lot 57. His son John was the first white child born in the town of Napoli. Mr. Foy died in Illinois. Four brothers of Foy, Benjamin, David, Jonathan, and Samuel,settled on the same lot in 1819, but all removed except Samuel, who now resides on lot 57.Joshua Boardman, a native of Onondaga County, came from that county in 1819, and located on lot 42, where he put up a small shanty until he could build a log house. He united with the first Free-Will Baptist Church of Napoli, and was a leadingcitizen of the town. He died in Kalamazoo, Mich. Rosena Barnes, his wife died at Napoli in 1826. They had ten children, of whom Sophronia is living with her son, C.D. Tuttle, in the town of Connewango, Joseph in Michigan, and Joshua andElizabeth in Randolph.Walter Thorp, a native of Delaware County, came in 1820. He located on lot 61. Mr. Thorp was a man of fine talents, possessing a genial nature, and always contending for the right. His kindly nature sympathized in the woes, and his hand wasever open to relive the wants, of suffering humanity. He was a good speaker and fine writer, and worked to instruct and elevate the young. But few men have been more missed than 'Uncle Walter.' He died in Connewango, November, 1872, beingnearly eighty-one years of age. His wife, Elmira Maxon, was born in Delaware County, January, 1796, and died in Connewango, December, 1840. The only son living, Morgan Thorp, resides in the town of Great Valley; and Louisa is living inConnewango.Lewis P. Thorp was born in Delaware County, in March, 1801, and came to Napoli in 1820, locating on lot 61. He was a leading citizen of the town, holding positions of trust, which he ever filled to the satisfaction of his constituents, and withhonor to himself. He died at his old home at Napoli, February, 1868. His widow, Mrs. Maria Thorp, is living in Randolph. They raised a family of six children. George C., a son, is living in Napoli, Sarah C., Caroline M., Mary M., and Frank S.are living in Randolph.Daniel S. Thorp came in 1820, settling on lot 61. He was a native of Delaware County, and was born March 6, 1798. He died in Napoli, July 2, 1869. His wife Ruth Foy, was born in Vermont, Oct. 20, 1797, and died in Napoli, April 24, 1874. Offive children, Walter F. lives on the old homestead in Napoli, and Laverna in Randolph.Hubbard Latham, a native of Long Island, came from Sag Harbor in 1821, and located on lot 44. He was born Dec. 27, 1772. His father was of English birth, and was one of the favored land-holders. He came to this country possessed of much wealth.Mr. Latham died at the home of his son, in Randolph, Dec. 27, 1850. His wife, Mercy Bennett, was born in New Lebanon, Conn., in 1769, and died in Randolph, February, 1858. A son, Edward Latham, died in Illinois in 1877. Elisha died in Randolphin 1857. Cornelius now resides in that town, and Abigail in Illinois.John L. Latham, a native of Sag Harbor, came to Napoli, and located on lot 44, in 1822. in 1839, when riding on horseback in Illinois, he and the horse on which he rode were killed by lightning; and it is said by those who were near at the timethat it was perfectly clear, with no report of thunder. Hubbard L. Latham, a brother of John L., came at the same time, settling on the same lot. He died in Illinois, in 1858.Leverett Richmond settled on lot 52 in 1821. He came from Genesee County, to which place he returned.Joseph Miller, from Cayuga County, settled on lot 20 in 1821. He built the first frame barn in town. He died at the same place in 1827. His wife, Maria Boardman, died in Nebraska in 1873, and was buried at Napoli Corners.John Moran located on lot 27, 1821, but soon after removed to the town of Connewango.Benjamin Hillman came from Washington County in 1822, locating on lot 27. He was a shoemaker by trade. He erected a frame house on the Jamestown Road, east of Napoli Corners, and opened a temperance tavern. It created quite an excitement, andthe people far and near went out to see the first temperance house go up. Mr. Hillman is now living in Monroe County.Nathaniel Burbank settled on lot 13 in 1822, coming from Genesee County. He was born in New Jersey, February, 1782, and died on the same farm, May, 1858.Henry Earle, from Genesee County, located on lot 43 in 1822, and Silas Earle on lot 44.Nathan Bennett came from Ontario County in 1822, and settled on lot 59.Ariel and John Wellman, with their aged father, came from Schoharie County in 1822, and located on lot 53. The father died in South Valley. Ariel moved to Minnesota, and died there. John is living in Cold Spring.Sands Bouton went on lot 34 about 1822. He came from the town of Olean. He was county clerk of Cattaraugus County in 1817, and was the first to hold that office.Andrew Green came from Onondaga County in 1822, settling on lot 28. He moved to Michigan in 1845, where he died.Hardy R. Finch came from Genesee County in 1822, and located on lot 6. He was born in Fairfield Colorado., Conn., Dec. 24, 1796. He is still living on the farm he took fifty-six years ago. His wife, Rachel Porter, was born in Massachusetts,November, 1797, and died August, 1878. Soon after Mr. Finch settled, a large bear took a hog, weighing nearly 200 pounds, one dark night from the pen, and was making off with it. Mr. Finch gave battle, and compelled the bear to leave the hog,but in a mangled condition.Stephen Curtis, with his wife, Sally, came from Schoharie County in 1822, locating on lot 55. They both died on the same farm.in 1822, Joseph Woodworth, a Revolutionary soldier, came to this town. He died in the town of Connewango, in 1844.Elijah Boardman from Onondaga County, settled on lot 27 in 1822. He was born in Connecticut, and died in Chicago, Cook County, IllinoisMoses Cook settled on lot 34 in 1823. He came from Ontario County. He kept the first store, in 1826. He was also the first blacksmith. He returned to Ontario, where he died.Ira Dunning settled on lot 34 in 1823. He was a Presbyterian minister, and the first one who settled in town.Oliver Paddack, from Schoharie County, moved on lot 55 in 1823. He was born in Connecticut, 1780, and died in Napoli in 1871.Wheeler Beardsley, from Erie County, located on lot 38 in 1823. He was born in Connecticut in 1788, and died in Little Valley, December, 1872. Melinda Martin, his wife, died in Little Valley in 1873. A daughter, Mrs. S. S. Marsh, is living atLimestone.Marshall Whitcomb, from Ontario County, located on lot 58 in 1823. He moved to the State of Ohio about 1830.Jeduthan Seely came from Genesee County in 1823, and located on lot 45. He died in Illinois in 1832. Mr. Seely had five sons, who came to this town with him. Their names were, Ebenezer, Jeduthan, Alexander, Horace, and Norman. They were allexpert hunters, and gave much time to the chase. Once upon the track of deer, bear, or wolf, there seldom was an escape for the animal. in 1833, having driven two wolves into a piece of swampy woods, they rallied as many of the neighbors aspossible to surround the swamp; but the wolves made their escape, and were pursued by Horace and Norman Seely, who followed them nine days, passing through several towns of Cattaraugus and Chautauqua Counties. One of the wolves finally tookshelter in a small low cave in the town of Napoli, at a point called Cat Rock, from its having been the harbor for wild-cats. The question now arose, 'Who is to imitate the example of General Putnam, and follow the wolf into the cave?' Horaceclaimed this right. A strong hook was accordingly attached to the end of a pole of sufficient length to reach from the bottom of the cave to where the wolf was. Mr. Seely then firmly fastened the hook to the wolf, and those at the mouth of thecaf, drew the animal out over the body of the adventurous hunter, as he lay flat upon his face. The five brothers moved to Whiteside County, Illinois, and have never since returned to the scenes of their hunting exploits.Gorden Chesbrough came from Washington County in 1823, locating on lot 27. He moved to Chautauqua County, where he died.Cale Adye, a Revolutionary soldier, came to this town in 1824, and died here January, 1849, aged eighty-eight years. Two sons, Hiram and Austin, live in town. Also two daughters, Ann Eliza and Olive. A son, Ansel, is living in Little Valley.Abel Merchant located on lot 56 in 1824. He was from Madison County, and is still living on the farm first taken. A son, Andrew J., is a Methodist minister at Fredonia. James H. is also a Methodist minister in Ohio.Amos Merchant, from Madison County, settled on lot 56 in 1824. He was born in 1797, and is living with a daughter (Mrs. Smith Clark) in Napoli.Eastman Prescott, from Genesee County, located on lot 26 in 1824, and died at Napoli, March, 1866. Mr. Prescott kept the first inn in town. He also carried the first mail from Ellicottville to Randolph.Ezekiel Fitch located on lot 50 in 1824. He was born in Columbia County, and died in Illinois.Samuel Healy came to this town from Washington County in 1824, locating on lot 26, but removed to Chautauqua County.Hiram Freeman located on lot 27 in 1825, coming from Washington County. He was born December, 1798, and died in town, August, 1857. Mrs. Freeman was born September, 1802, and now resides in Napoli. A son, Manly, died in town in 1855. Martin isliving in town; also a daughter, Alida.Timothy Everett, from Onondaga County, located on lot 35, in 1825. He died in 1847, in Chautauqua County.Tunis Van Tassel settled on lot 5 in 1825, and opened a tavern in a small log house near the narrows, on the Jamestown road.Jacob Lyon, from Schoharie County, located on lot 55 in 1825. He returned to that county, where he died.William Palmer came from Genesee County in 1825, locating on lot 6. He died in the town of Napoli, in 1843. Two sons are living in the county, - Asa, at Cattaraugus, and Russell, on lot 6, in Napoli. Asa, Russell, and Jason Palmer also settledon lot 6 in 1825.Reuben Wait settled on lot 39 in 1825, having come from Washington County that yeArkansas He was a native of that county, and was born in 1793. He died December, 1865, on the farm where he first settled. One son is living in Cold Spring, one intown, and one in the State of ks. Warden B., another son, resides on the old homestead. Isaac, James, Peleg, Oliver, and William Wait came from the same place as the above in 1825, and located on lots 36 and 39.in 1825, Asa Maynard, from Genesee County, located on lot 5, and Horace Cowles, from Onondaga County, on lot 37.Seneca Morton settled in this town in 1826. Darius Fish came from Washington the same year, and located on lot 29, and Joseph Fish came from Olean, settling on lot 50. He died in Napoli, about 1830. Ephraim Fish, from Washington County,located on lot 29. He died in Kalamazoo, Mich.Amasa P. Darling, from Genesee County, located on lot 46 about 1826. He was a mason by trade.Ambrose Waterman, a native of Vermont, located on lot 50 in 1826, and died in 1857, leaving four sons and two daughters.William J. Wilcox was born in Hampshire Colorado., Massachusetts, June 28, 1782, and his wife, Luranah Green, April 20, 1783. They came to Napoli in October, 1826. He was a Congregational minister. He died in this town, July 14, 1842, and Mrs.Wilcox July 10, 1845.William M. Champlain came from Chenango County, and located on lot 47, in 1826, and died on lot 38, April, 1862. His widow is still living on the same place where her husband died. They had a family of thirteen children.Joseph Morton was born in Massachusetts, November, 1770, and Mercy, his wife, October, 1767. They came to Napoli in 1826. Mr. Morton died January, 1843, and Mrs. Morton, March 1841.Amasa Bushnell, a native of Connecticut, came to Napoli from Herkimer County in 1826, settling on lot 54. He was born June, 1765, and died on the same lot, August, 1841. Prudence, his wife, was born February, 1774, and died May, 1858. Of theirchildren, James settled on lot 54 in 1822; he moved to Michigan, where he died, in 1864. Josiah settled on the same lot in 1822, and died there, February, 1841. Ashbel came in 1824. in company with his brother, Amasa, he kept a store onBushnell Flats. in 1831 he went on to lot 35, and opened a hotel at Napoli Corners, where he now resides. Amasa came in 1826. He moved to Illinois in 1855, and died in September of the same yeArkansas Chauncy is living on lot 12; and Elias atNapoli Corners, where he has carried on blacksmithing nearly forty years.Daniel Nichols, from Monroe County, located on lot 58 in 1826. He was born in Berkshire Colorado., Massachusetts, Nov. 24, 1800. His wife, Lydia Bishop, was born in Hampden Colorado., Massachusetts, September, 1793, and died in Napoli, Sept. 2,1859. Mr. Nichols is now living with a son, D.F. Nichols, on the farm first taken.Ezra Glover came from Washington County in 1827, and settled on lot 37. He died in Washington County.Silas Miller, a native of New Jersey, came from Cayuga County in March, 1827, locating on lot 20. He was born in 1799, and died December, 1876, on the farm where he first settled. His wife, Nancy, was born May, 1800, and is now living with herdaughter near the old homestead. Two daughters - Ann Eliza, born October, 1826, and Maria, born in 1829 - are now living in Napoli.John Champlin came from Genesee County in 1827, settling on lot 47. He died in Illinois, to which State he had moved.Stephen Gladden was born in Hampshire, Massachusetts, in 1805, and came from Onondaga County in 1827, settling on lot 38. His wife, Mercy Beardsley, was born in Delaware County in 1797. They are both living on the place first taken. An onlyson, George A., is living on the homestead. Mary is living near her parents. Sarah died in town in 1866.Harney Janes and his father, Ebenezer, from Onondaga County, located on lot 34 in 1827. He died in Napoli in 1867. He had two sons and four daughters, all now living. Mrs. Janes now resides in Randolph.Roswell Roberts settled on lot 23 in 1827, having come from Onondaga County. He is now living on the same lot.Jonas Glazier, a Calvinist-Baptist minister, and a native of Massachusetts, came from that State to this town in 1828, and died here in 1856. His wife, Sally Goodnough, was born in 1796, and is living with a daughter in Napoli. Their only sonwas drowned in Massachusetts.Two brothers, John and Robert Balston, came from Genesee County in 1828. John settled on lot 12, and Robert on lot 11, but both removed to Michigan.Six sons and one daughter of William J. Wilcox became residents of this town in 1828. Lansing is living on lot 21, in Napoli; Lysander is also living in town; Austin resides at Union, Pa.; Mary died in 1844, at Napoli; Samuel has been apracticing physician in town for many years; Gordon resides in Missouri.Amasa Booth, a native of Massachusetts, came to this town from Genesee County in 1818. He was born in 1787, and died in 1848. Sarah Wait, his wife, was born in Washington County, May, 1788, and died in 1860. Of the children, Orrin and Stephenyet live in Napoli.Richard Boardman, a native of Connecticut, came from Onondaga County in 1828, locating on lot 42. He died in 1842, and his wife, Lucy, in 1844, in Napoli.Loren Burroughs came from Onondaga County in 1828, and located on lot 42. He died in Nebraska.David Brown came from Allegany County in 1829, and settled on lot 58; Lewis Crane, from Cayuga County, on lot 21; Walter Coe, from Montgomery County, on lot 8; and Asher and Joshua Boardman, from Genesee County, on lot 42.in 1830, Austin Davis became a resident of lot 5; Enoch Chase, from Little Valley, on lot 46; Jeremiah and Lindsey Morten, from Addison Colorado., Vermont, on lot 57.Calvin Doolittle came from the town of Little Valley in 1829, and settled on lot 38. He was a Free-Will Baptist minister. He moved to the State of Michigan.John Arms came from Genesee County in 1831, and settled on lot 40. He died on the same lot, November, 1867. A son, Luther Arms, is living on the farm first settled on.Orris Marsh was born in Windham Colorado., Vermont, July, 1806. He came to this county in 1826, and settled in Cold Spring in 1828, and in Napoli in 1832, of which town he has been supervisor for twenty-three years.John Peaslee was born in Dutchess County in 1779, and came to Napoli from Schoharie County in 1732, locating on lot 62. He died on the same lot, March, 1863. A son, Orsemus, died in town, August, 1877. Joseph is living on lot 62.in 1835 there were 5436 acres of improved land in town. The population in 1865 was 1231; in 1875, 1094. Of this number 1058 were natives, 559 males and 535 females. There were 322 voters and 216 land-owners. in June, 1878, there were 78 men intown over 60 years of age, and 259 persons under age.MEMORAndA OF PIONEER EVENTSThe first birth was that of a son of William Foy, in June, 1820. He was named John A., and died in Illinois in 1877. The first death was a son of Timothy Butler, in 1820, who was buried in the cemetery at Napoli. The second death was a son ofJoshua Boardman, in 1821, who was buried in the same cemetery.The first marriage was that of Dr. Noble, to Statira Canfield. Dr. Noble died in Ontario County, where his wife still resides. These parties went out of town to find an officer to perform the rites. The first marriage, the ceremony of which wasperformed in the town, was that of John Morrill to Miss Sophronia Seward, a cousin of the late William H. Seward, by Rev. Ira Dunning, in 1824. This couple having lived together fifty-four years, yet reside at Napoli Corners in fair health, andtheir memories are but little impaired by the weight of years.The first school was taught in the dwelling-house of John Warner, in the summer of 1819, by Miss Fannie Boardman, who now resides in the State of Iowa. The first school-house was a small log building on lot 42. The first school in it was taughtby Phineas Noble, and the second by Sophronia Seward.The first apple-orchard was set by George Hill, on lot 29, in 1830. He brought the trees several miles on his back. The first fruit of which we can obtain any account grew in the nursery of Horace Hall, on lot 59, in 1823, when he found about ahalf-dozen apples. He mashed them, and squeezing out the juice, put it in a vial and sent it to his old friends in Ontario County, informing them the town of Napoli was raising apples and making cider.The first frame building erected was a barn by Joseph Miller, on lot 22, in 1822; and the first frame house by Harvey Parmelee, on lot 51, 1826.The first inn was kept by Eastman Prescott in 1831, at Napoli Corners.CIVIL HISTORYThe first town-meeting was held at the house of Henry Noble, Feb. 11, 1823, when the following officers were elected: Supervisor, Henry Noble; Town Clerk, Daniel S. Thorp; Assessors, Andrew D. Smith, Harvey Parmelee, James Bushnell; Overseers ofthe Poor, Elijah Boardman, Artemas Houghton; Commissioners of Highways, Walter Thorp, William Foy, Joseph Elkinton; Commissioners of Schools, Andrew D. Smith, Harlow Butler, Daniel S. Thorp; inspectors of Schools, Henry Noble, Harlow Butler,Andrew D. Smith; Constable and Collector, Phineas F. Noble.Since 1823 the principal officers of the town have been as follows:[ Table 1 ][ Table 2 ]At the first town-meeting resolutions were adopted regulating the taking up of estray animals, and the same year we find the following:'ESTRAY NOTICE''Taken up by Erastus John (indian), a gray mare about two years old, long tail, with no other particular marks about her; had a poke on when taken up.'Dated Cold Spring, July 12, 1823.'Attest: Daniel S. Thorp,'Town Clerk.'in 1823, it was voted 'that ten dollars bounty be allowed to every white person who shall kill a full-grown wolf in the town of Cold Spring.''That the next town-meeting be held at the West schoolhouse, or, if there should be a house built for public worship, then the town-meeting to be held at said house.''Spirituous liquors are not to be sold on election days.'The third town-meeting was held in the church.in 1825, a bounty of $5 was voted for every full-grown bear, and $2.50 for every cub.in 1826, it was resolved 'that every person be subject to a fine of $50 who shall suffer Canada Thistles, white or yellow daisies, or Tory weeds, to grow on his lands or on the public highways adjoining the same, after three days' notice of theirpresence.'A special meeting was held, Jan. 30, 1828, to elect a clerk in place of Harlow Butler, who removed. Horace Hall was elected to fill the vacancy.Double the bounty on wolves allowed by the State was voted this yeArkansas'Resolved, That there be a committee appointed to take into contemplation something to ameliorate the militia law. That Walter Thorp, Joseph Elkinton, Timothy Everett, Elijah Boardman, Harvey Parmelee, John L. Latham, and Horace Hall, as saidcommittee, report at the next meeting or sooner, if in their opinion it shall seem necessary.'ROADS And CEMETERIESThe first road surveyed in town began at a stake on the line between lots 34 and 35, in township 3, range 8, and in the centre of the north and south road, near Timothy Butler's; thence ran east 18 chains; thence north to the Jamestown road. Itwas surveyed April 22, 1823, by James McGlashen; the commissioners were Walter Thorp, William Foy, and Joseph Elkinton.The same year ten more roads were surveyed or altered by the above commissioners. There are, in 1878, about 65 miles of highway in town, divided into 49 road districts. Before Napoli was settled, there was an indian trail entering the town onlot 41, and following the Cold Spring Creek, passing into the town of New Albion; thence, to the north, to Buffalo and Canada. Governor Blacksnake, the famed Seneca chief, claimed to have traveled over this trail on foot from the mouth of ColdSpring Creek to Buffalo and returned in twenty-four hours, making a distance of 126 miles. His mission was deemed an important one at a critical period during the war of 1812. It will be remembered that the Seneca indians were friendly to theEnglish and fought under the British flag in that struggle.The Napoli Cemetery has been used as a public burialground since 1820. Timothy Butler gave the land that year, but no society was organized till about 1858. The present trustees are Orris Marsh, Joseph Hazard, Nelson Morrill, Justus Harris, andHarrison Brink. The grounds are substantially fenced and well kept.The Union Cemetery Society of Elm Creek was organized July 15, 1844, to provide a cemetery, which is situated on lot 60. The trustees were Samuel Farlee, Lewis P. Thorp, Edward Fairchild, D.O. Peaslee, Walter Thorp, John Fairchild, and NathanSnow.The North Napoli Cemetery was set apart and used for that purpose about thirty-five years since. The grounds were given by William Champlin. It is on lot 38, neatly fenced, with stone posts, and well kept. The present trustees are AmenzaSibley, George A. Gladden, Luther Arms, Charles Cary, Hiram Swift, and William Rhodes.Maple Grove Cemetery, on lot 21, was opened in 1836. Silas Miller and Nathaniel Burbanks were the first trustees; the present trustees are William Stevens, George Thorp, Marshall and Judson Sibley.MILLS And OTHER indUSTRIESThe first saw-mill was built about 1826, on Cold Spring Creek, by James Wait. David Brown erected a saw-mill on the same stream in 1830 on lot 42. Mr. Davis built one on lot 5, and Otis Pratt one on lot 16, which is still running. Lyman Gileserected one on Cold Spring Creek, on lot 17, about 1840, but it has gone to decay.A tannery was established on lot 59 in 1821 by Nathan Bennett. He afterwards moved it to Napoli Corners, when it was sold to Thomas Carter, who operated it a few years and then discontinued it.The Napoli Creamery, on lot 38, was erected in 1870 by Eben Sibley, by whom it is now owned and run. It is 25 by 75 feet, three stories high, with an engine of five horse-power. It receives the milk of about 800 cows, and in 1877 worked up1,832,590 pounds of milk, making 147,959 pounds of cheese and 61,663 pounds of butter. The sales were $15,234 7/100 for butter and $11,827 25/100 for cheese. The patrons realized 12 48/100 mills per pound of milk furnished.South Napoli Creamery was built by Anson Goodspeed in 1875. It is 32 by 60 feet, and three stories high, with an engine of eight horse-power. It is owned and operated by Eben Sibley, having about 500 cows, and making 16 cheeses and 300 pounds ofbutter per day.There is considerable private dairying aside from the factories. Probably there are about 2000 cows in town.There are some fine orchards in town, and large quantities of apples are shipped to New York, Buffalo, and other markets. in 1878 the product was nearly 60,000 bushels.in 1875 nearly 20,000 pounds of maple-sugar were manufactured in town.NAPOLI CORNERSThe only hamlet in the town, is situated on lot 35, about a mile south of the centre of the township. It contains a good store, a grocery, a hotel, several shops, school-house, public hall, and three church buildings, whose aggregate capacity is800, and the cost about $10,000; there are also about fifteen dwellings. The hotel has been kept many years by Ashbel Bushnell, and for more than forty years Elias Bushnell has followed the blacksmith's trade in the place. A wagon-shop iscarried on by George Shannon.The post-office at this place was established in 1827, with Timothy Everett, postmaster. Ten years later, Ashbel Bushnell was appointed, and held the office four years; in 1841, Orris Marsh; 1845, Bushnell; 1849, Marsh; since that period theofficials have been Silas Miller, George Shannon, Silas Earle, A.T. Palmer, John Damon, O.S. Booth, and William McHerron.in the northern part of the town a post-office was established about 1825, with the name of Owensburgh, and had Abel B. Hobart as postmaster. John A. Kinnicutt was the mail-carrier, the office being on the route which he supplied. in 1827 it wasremoved to the Seelysburgh neighborhood, and took that name. John Latham was here appointed postmaster. It was afterwards held by Amasa Bushnell, Cyrus Thatcher, Erastus L. Bassett, Lewis Thorp, and Samuel Farlee. The latter carried the officeto Elm Creek, in Connewango, where it was discontinued.The first physician was Elijah Hammond, who came from Erie County, and located on lot 35. Henry Noble, one of the first settlers, practiced medicine several years, and Dr. Blodgett began about 1827. For many years the present Dr. Samuel S.Wilcox has followed his profession in town, although not now in active practice. Dr. Wm. C. Peaslee is the present practitioner. No attorney has ever been able to engage in his profession in Napoli.EDUCATIONALThe only schools in the town are those provided by the general system of the State, but an effort has been made to elevate the standard of scholarship and secure a better class of teachers.On the 13th of September, 1823, the school commissioners of the old town of Cold Spring reported that the town had been divided into districts, the territory included being almost entirely in township No. 3. The following year these districtswere subdivided, and thereafter other changes took place. in 1838 there were six whole and four fractional districts. The terms of school were from three to eight months in a year, and 420 pupils were in attendance. The amount paid for thesupport of these schools was $385.45. in 1878 the commissioners reported six whole and one fractional districts, in which there were 328 children of school age. There were 204 weeks of school taught, in which the average attendance was 128. Theteachers were paid $1183.41, of which amount $751.77 was apportioned by the county. The school buildings were valued at $1880, and the 260 volumes in the libraries at $145.RELIGIOUS SOCIETIESThe early pioneers of this town, amidst their toils and privations in building up homes, did not forget their New England training, - they never once forgot the God of their fathers. Probably not a family failed to carefully bring the old familyBible, and take counsel from its sacred pages; and almost the first act was to rear the family altar, from which ascended praises to the Most High, ringing through the grand old forests. As early as 1821, less than three years from the time ofthe first settlement.THE FIRST CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH OF COLD SPRinGwas organized with the 11 following members: Timothy Butler and wife, William Fox and wife, Phineas Noble and wife, Nathan Bennett and wife, Peter Beardsley, Harlow Butler, and Betsey Moran. The meeting was held at the house of Timothy Boardman,by the Rev. John Spencer, the pioneer missionary. Sargeant Morrill and Artemus Houghton were elected the first deacons. Father Spencer continued his missionary labors among this people, and measures were instituted in a few years to erect achurch building. To this end the 'First Congregational Society in the town of Cold Spring' was formed April 21, 1823, with the following trustees: Elijah Boardman, Artemus Houghton, Isaac Morrill, John Hendrick, Harlow Butler, and PeterBeardsley. The ensuing year a log meeting-house was erected on lot 42, on the farm now owned by Wm. A. Weeden, by the society, which was used as a place of worship many years. in 1825, the society was dissolved, and on the 9th of November, 1826,reorganized with Philemon Hall, Amasa Bushnell, and Timothy Everett as trustees. The church at this time has 21 members; three years later it had 60; and in 1834 had 107, much of the latter membership having resulted from the labors of theevangelist, S.G. Orton, in 1833.From June 2, 1824, till Oct. 13, 1825, the Rev. Ira Dunning was the pastor of the church; 1826-31, the Rev. Wm. J. Wilcox; 1834, Rev. Sylvester Cowles; 1835-37, Rev. Wm. Waith; 1841-42, rev. John ingles; 1842-43, Rev. Justin Marsh; 1837-40, Rev.A.D. Olds; 1844-45, Rev. Wm. Goodell; 1846-50, Rev. H.A. Taylor; 1851-52, Rev. John Scott; 1852-54, Rev. C.H. Baldwin; 1856-62, Rev. H.D. Lowing; 1862-65, Rev. Luther Newcomb; 1866-71, Rev. New Hampshire Barnes; 1871-73, Rev. S.T. Anderson;1874-76, Rev. Dwight Dunham; since that period the Rev. J.D. Stewart has been the pastor. The present deacons are S.A. Newell and Jairus Burt.The present church edifice at Napoli corners was erected in 1868, at a cost of $4000. It presents an inviting appearance, and will seat 300 persons. The tower contains a good bell. The church has at present 66 members, and maintains aninteresting Sunday-school, having an attendance of from 80 to 100 persons of all ages. George Gladden is the superintendent, and Theodore Hazard secretary.On the 5th of October, 1869, at the annual meeting, it was decided to change the name of the society from Cold Spring to Napoli; and it is now duly incorporated as such. Besides the church, the society owns other property to the amount of $2000.THE FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH OF NAPOLICalvinistic in belief, was formed in 1826, of 13 persons, namely, Stephen Curtis and wife; Jacob Lyon and wife; Stephen, James, and Peleg Wait, and their wives; George Wait, Mrs. Reuben Wait, and Lyman Lyon.George Wait was elected the first deacon, and Philip Lyon clerk. The Rev. Jonathan Balek was the first minister, and soon after the church was formed baptized Mrs. Gurdon Chesbrough, who united in church fellowship, and was the first accession.Soon after, Mrs. Hiram Freeman and Mrs. Levi Stevens were baptized by the Rev. W. Winsor, also an early minister, and united with the church. From 1828 to 1831 the Rev. Bartemas Brayman was the pastor of the church, and while he was connected inthis capacity the meeting-house was erected. It is a frame structure, and is the oldest house of worship now standing in the county.in addition to the foregoing pastors, the Rev. E. Going, J.J. Trumbull, Elisha Tucker, Jay Handy, and Jonas Glazier ministered to the members of the church, the latter about 1840 and the years following.Jan. 21, 1840, the Napoli Baptist Society was formed, and James Wait, Orrin Booth, Reuben Wait, B.H. Hillman, Joseph McCollester, and Amasa Booth, elected trustees. This society was reorganized March 18, 1870, with a board of trustees composed ofW.B. Wait, Thomas Vidall, Orrin Booth, John Montyne, and William McHerron.The church has at present nearly 60 members under the pastoral director of the Rev. George W. Porter. Worden Wait and Orrin Booth are the deacons, and Thomas Vidall the clerk.THE NAPOLI METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCHA class of Methodists was formed at the Milk's school-house about 1826, having, among other members, Silas Earle and wife, Almira Thorp, Ruth Foy, David Foy, and Jonathan Foy. The first class-leader was Silas Earle; later ones were HarveyParmelee and Nathaniel Hall. The early preachers were the Revs. John Kent and Job Wilson.The Curtis school-house class was formed in 1844, the members being from the Haywood, Lyon, Wade, Merchant, and Thatcher families. Among the leaders of this class were Cyrus Thatcher, Abel Merchant, Horace Cross, Joseph Davis, and TrumanMerchant. in 1873 the class was transferred to Napoli Corners. At that point a class of Methodists was formed about 1830, which had an existence of alternate prosperity and adversity for nearly forty years. On the 2d of September, 1868, theRev. J. S. Stocker formally organized these members, numbering nearly 40, into the present church, and for its use the house of worship was erected the same season, at a cost of nearly $3000. It was appropriately dedicated Jan. 14, 1869, by theRev. W. F. Day. From this time on the church has been very prosperous, numbering at present in the neighborhood of 100 members. The pastoral connection of these Methodist classes is shown in the history of the East Randolph Methodist Church, towhich the reader is referred, the list being here omitted to avoid repetition.'The first society of the Methodist Episcopal Church in Napoli,' was organized, Jan 17, 1834, at a meeting over which Nelson Henry presided. Thomas Carter, Benjamin Foy, Nathan Snow, Lewis P. Thorp, Ariel Wellman, and Nathaniel S. Hale wereelected trustees. Besides the above church, the society controls other property valued at $1000.in addition to the foregoing, a body of Free-Will Baptists was formed at the Morrill school-house, June 14, 1831, by the Rev. Hiram Whitcher.The members uniting in church covenant were Jotham Metcalf and wife, Abigail Joice, Sophia Hovey, Freeman and Miranda Dart, Alvah and Sylvia L. Prescott, and Philetus S. Doolittle. During the following summer and fall many others were baptizedand united with the church. Among this number were two young ladies, - Anna Babcock and Sally Tukesberry, - who related their experience at an evening meeting, Aug. 4, 1831, and were baptized that night, at nearly twelve o'clock, in Cold SpringCreek, by the Rev. Hiram Whitcher. On the 15th of October ensuing, Jotham Metcalf was elected the first deacon and Freeman Dart clerk.The meetings were held in private houses, and in different school-houses in Napoli and Connewango, the preachers being the Revs. Whitcher, A.C. Andrews, F. B. Tanner, and others, and were attended with variable interest. But not having a fixedplace of worship, the society did not enjoy as full a measure of prosperity as it would, had it been the owner of a permanent home. Hence, on the 10th of June, 1848, it was decided that the future name of the organization should be 'The FirstFree-Will Baptist Church of East Randolph,' and that a church edifice be erected in that village. The building was put up that season, and first occupied by the church for a covenant meeting, Feb. 10, 1849.The subsequent history of this body may be found in an account of the churches in the town of Randolph. Other denominations have held meetings in the town of Napoli, but so far as we have been able to learn, no permanent organization followed inconsequence. It may be noted to the credit of the town that it has always enjoyed an exalted moral position, and that it has accommodations in the several houses of worship for nearly every man, woman, and child living within her bounds, - aprovision not found in any other town in the county, and very seldom in any other section of our country.SECRET ORDERSA grange of Patrons of Husbandry was organized at Napoli, May 21, 1874, and had as its first officers, Judson Sibley, Worthy Master; W.D. Huntington, Overseer; Clay Card, Sec.; Samuel Allen, Treas.; George Thorp, Lecturer; H.H. Sackrider, Steward;Charles Sackrider, Assistant Steward; Mrs. David Sackrider, Lady Assistant Steward; Mrs. W.D. Huntington, Ceres; Mrs. H.H. Sackrider, Pomona; Carrier Sackrider, Flora.The grange at once entered upon a career of prosperity, which yet continues, but its exact status cannot be here given.MILITARY RECORDin the trying hours of the Rebellion, from 1861-65, the people of Napoli never faltered nor allowed their love for our country to grow cold, but with patriotic devotion rallied to the defense of the dear old flag.At the annual meeting, in 1864, it was unanimously resolved to levy a tax to provide a bounty for all men who had enlisted up to that date, and who might in future enroll themselves to the credit of the town. About $19,000 was thus provided, inaddition to many generous individual contributions for the support of the families of enlisted men.A list of volunteers credited to Napoli appears in another part of this book.  [15
    Local History  http://www.hopefarm.com/cattarny.htmHope Farm Press & Bookshop 252 Main Street Saugerties New York 12477 845-246-3522Publisher of New York Regional History, Folklore. Nature, Military History and Genealogy Books(hopefarm@hopefarm.com)Early Cattaraugus County HistoryThe rise, growth and history of Cattaraugus County is closely connected with the question of transportation. Located on the Pennsylvania line near the west border of New York, it was the only section with a navigable river leading out to thesouthwest country. The route down the smoothly flowing Allegheny and Ohio rivers was very attractive to those who wished to immigrate to Ohio and the nearby States. The head of navigation was at the site of Olean, and it was from this point thatthe traveller entered his boat and made his way, without change, to his western destination. Naturally the first permanent settlement in the county was made at Olean in 1804, which quickly became a place of importance. in 1825 the Erie Canal wascompleted and the stream of immigration was diverted from the river route, and there followed a very dull period in the expansion of the county. But when the New York and Erie Railroad was completed in 1851, a new impetus was given to the growth,enterprise and industries of Cattaraugus, which was slow in losing its force.The first white settlement in the county was made as the result of a mission to the indians of the section by Quakers of Philadelphia. Joel Swane, Halliday Jackson and Henry Simmons were sent by the Friends, in 1798, to locate among the Senecas,which they did in the present town of South Valley. They tried to teach the indians agriculture, and it is an interesting fact that they offered premiums for the growing of fine crops forty years before there were any such prizes given amongwhites.Just after the close of the Revolution there were a number of books written in the most glowing language, describing the advantages of Western New York and particularly that section of it in which the county lies. These led to the so-calledHolland Purchase in 1792-93, and the issuing of more boosting literature. Major Adam Hoops was the first to become interested in the lands of Cattaraugus, and to him was issued, in 1803, the first contract for a piece of land at the junction ofOil Creek (Olean Creek) with the Allegheny River, and here was started the earliest of the settlements which were soon after to dot the surface of the county.The indians had the final say so in the Holland transaction, and from the lands ceded to the Holland Company by the Six Nations in 1797, three reservations were made within the limits of Cattaraugus: The Oil Spring, one mile square; The Allegheny,forty-two square miles, extending along the Allegheny for twenty-five miles, with a width of two, containing the best of the farm lands of the county; and a small part of the Cattaraugus. The county as a whole has an area of 1,334 square miles,mostly uplands rather badly broken in character, with a multitude of small streams draining it and forming innumerable valleys. Most of the streams furnished water power, and were thus valuable to the pioneers. As there were very heavy forests,these waterways greatly aided the getting out of the logs, or cut lumber. These forests have never been completely exhausted. Naturally this is a dairy region, with grazing in plenty, and sufficient lands suited to growing the grains needed forfeeding stock. The soil and location in many parts are fitted for the production of fruits, and apples are one of the mainstays in the farming. Certain vegetable crops, including potatoes, are grown on a large scale.The county was formed from Genesee, which in turn was taken from Ontario on March 11, 1808. Ellicottville, near the south center of the county, was chosen as the shiretown. But until I8I7 the county affairs were merged with Niagara, and the firstcourt held in the county was at Olean, July 3, 1817. A court house was erected in Ellicottville before the end of the next yeArkansas These were burned in 1829, but promptly rebuilt. Little Valley was made the county seat in 1867.# Read more about it! . . .Each of these sections has different books on the same region: 
    Local History  http://www.outfitters.com/illinois/hancock/history_hancock.htmlHistory of Hancock County, IllinoisNamed for John HancockJohn Hancock [1737 - 1793] was the first governor of Commonwealth of Massachussetts. He was a member of the Continental Congress from 1775-80 and 1785-86, serving as President of the Congress from 1775-77.Hancock is most famous as the first signer of the Declaration of independence. Hancock made his signature large, 'So the King of England could read it without his spectacles' or so the legends say....Established Seven Years after Illinois became a StateFormed on 13 Jan 1825 from unorganized territory attached to Pike County, Illinois.The first county courthouse was at Montebello, on the banks of the Mississippi River between Warsaw and Nauvoo. The town site is no longer occupied, but is marked by a plaque placed by the Hancock County Historical Society at the Hoot Owl RestArea along the River.in 1833, the General Assembly of the state of Illinois, commisioned the founding of the first permanent county seat at Carthage, in the center of the county. The first log courthouse was built in 1833 on the south side of the square. It was usedfrom 1839-45 for other purposes.The second courthouse in Carthage, was built in the center of the square 1839 by Moses Stephens, at a cost of $3,700. It was razed in 1906 to make way for the new courthouse.The present county courthouse was dedicated on October 21, 1908. [More information and photos of the courthouse]On October 2, 1925, during the Hancock County's centennial year, a plaque was placed on the north side of the Hancock County Courthouse:The Founding of Hancock County, commemorated by the Six Thousand Children of the Elementary Schools. October 2, 1925 Erected and dedicated in honor of John Hancock. The plaque was unveiled by 10-year-old John Siepel, a native of Hancock Township, Hancock County, Illinois.Part of the Military TractLand granted to veterans of the War of 1812. [More about the Military Tract]http://www.outfitters.com/illinois/history/family/miltract.htmlin May 1812, an act of Congress was passed which set aside bounty lands as payment to volunteer soldiers for the War against the British (War of 1812). The land was set aside in the present states of Arks, Michigan and Illinois.The bounty land in Illinois is located in the western part of the state between the Illinois and Mississippi Rivers [see map below on this page]. It includes all of the present counties of Adams, Brown, Calhoun, Fulton, Hancock, Henderson, Knox,McDonough, Mercer, Peoria, Pike, Schuyler, Stark, and Warren Counties. It also includes part of Henry and Bureau Counties, and those parts of Marshall and Putnam which are on the west side of the Illinois River. The area comprises about 5.4Million acres. Approximately 3.5 Million was deemed fit for cultivation and was set aside for military bounties.The tract was surveyed in 1815-1816 and opened to settlement. Then warrants for land were issued by the government. Many of these land grants can be found by searching Illinois Public Land Sales. For an explanation of the way the land in thesegrants are surveyed, see Federal Township-Range Survey System.Reference: The History of McDonough County, Illinois compiled by R. Chenoweth and S.W. Semonis, sponsored by the McDonough Coounty Genealogical Society, 1992, Curtis Media Corporation, Dallas, TX. 
    Local History  http://www.outfitters.com/illinois/mcdonough/McDonough County HistoryThomas McDonough (Macdonough) and Alexander Macomb were both heroes of the War of 1812. A statue honoring McDonough and Macomb is located in Chandler Park, Macomb Illinois.Thomas McDonough was born in 1783 in Delaware. At age 17, he joined the US Navy. Alexander Macomb was born in Detroit in 1782, but spent most of his childhood in New York. At age 17, he joined a militia in New York City. Macomb continued hismilitary career and was one of the first two students to complete formal training at West Point.During the War of 1812, McDonough was a Commodore of the US Navy, while Macomb was appointed Adjutant General of the US Army. McDonough commanded the fleet of 14 vessels on Lake Champlain in their defeat of the British near Plattsburg, New York on11 Sept 1814. Macomb and his force of less than 8000 faced nearly 11000 British troops at Plattsburg, New York. Macomb's troops were also victorious over the British at Plattsburg on 11 Sept 1814.Prior to the land and naval battles of Lake Champlain (Plattsburg Bay), it appeared that the British were winning the wArkansas McDonough's and Macomb's victories forced the retreat of the British from northeastern New York state into Canada. TheBritish failure in the campaign along Lake Champlain led to the end of the War of 1812.McDonough died 10 Nov 1825 while in command of the Mediterranean Squadron. McDonough County, Illinois was created less than two months later (25 Jan 1826). Macomb was named commanding general of the US Army in 1828 and remained in this positionuntil his death in Washington, DC in 1841.Forgottoniain 1973, citizens in McDonough County, enraged at being bypassed during distribution of Federal and State funds for public projects, organized the Republic of Forgotonia. The 'capitol' of Forgotonia was the unincorporated community of Fandon insouth-central McDonough County. The 'Governor' of Forgotonia was Neil Gamm, a student at WIU.History of Argyle Lake State ParkThe state created Argyle Lake State Park in 1948 on 1500 acres of land. The 93-acre Lake was formed by placing a dam across Spring Creek across the old Argyle Hollow. The old hollow had been mined for coal, clay and limestone. A replica of a driftmine has been recreated in the pArkansasSites on National Historic RegisterThe Welling-Everly Horse Barn, near Adair is of stick-style, Basilica Type Architecture and was built in 1882.The Clarence Kleinkopf Round Barn, near Colchester is a true-round architecture, built in 1914.The McDonough County Courthouse, Macomb, was built in 1872. The Second Empire Revival architecture structure is of limestone and red brick. The original Mansard Roof replaced in 1890McDonough County - Part of the Military TractMcDonough County, Illinois is in the center of the Military Tract, land set aside as reward for veterans of the War of 1812. The first land ownership in the county was initially granted to these veterans about 1818, although many of them soldtheir land rights to others. Land granted to veterans of the War of 1812. [More about the Military Tract] The newspaper the Bounty Land Register, first published in 1835, to advertise lands granted to veterans, is one of the ancestors of today'sQuincy Herald-Whig newspaper. 
    Local History  The Town of Centreville, New YorkThe town of Centreville was formed from Pike, Wyoming county, January 15th 1819. The following are the names of the first town offers:* Jesse Bullock, supervisor* Alfred Forbes, town clerk* Edward Crowell, overseer of the poor* Zaccheus Spencer, overseer of the poor* Benjamin Blanchard, assessor* Mark S. White, assessor* Strong Warner, assessor* Abraham Dayton, commissioner of highways* Mark Blanchard, commissioner of highways* Nathaniel Moore, commissioner of highways* Jess Hadley, constable* Calvin Cass, constable* Calvin Cass, collector* David Smith, school commissioner* Benjamin Weaver, school commissioner* Simeon Forbes, school commissioner* Calvin Cass, school inspector* Jesse Bullock, school inspector* Alfred Forbes, school inspector* Perkins B. Woodward, poundmasterThe supervisors of the town have been as follows since 1819:* Jesse Bullock - 1820-22* Alfred Forbes - 1823* Russell Burlingame - 1824, 1825, 1835* Jesse Hadley - 1836-28* David Oaks - 1829* Benjamin Blanchard - 1830, 1841* Strong Warner - 1831, 1832* Oren Pell - 1833, 1834* Hugh Gillis - 1836-38* Timothy Higgins - 1839, 1840, 1842-45, 1856, 1857* Gregory Metcalf - 1846, 1847* Ezra M. Hopkins - 1848, 1849* R. O. Billings - 1850-52* G. H. Jenkins - 1853* Allen Simmons - 1854, 1855, 1860, 1862* A. S. Barnum - 1858, 1859* Jonathan Couch - 1863-65, 1869, 1870, 1874, 1875, 1877-79* S. B. Freeman - 1866, 1867* Thomas B. Edwards - 1868* John D. Ballard - 1871-73, 1876Since 1819 the town clerks of Centreville has been as follows:* Alfred Forbes - 1820* Calvin Case - 1821, 1822* David Oaks - 1823, 1824, 1827* John Boardman - 1825, 1826* Timothy Higgins - 1828, 1837, 1845* Loren Stacy - 1829, 1839* Russell Trall - 1830, 1831* Dudley C. Bryan - 1832* Marvin Trall - 1833* Porter Hanks - 1834* Daniel Veazie - 1835, 1836, 1844* Sheldon D. Trall - 1838* Royal O. Billings - 1846-49* Stephen Cook - 1841* Joel nye - 1842* William McCray - 1843* Chester Kimball - 1850-68, 1870, 1871* David H. Brook - 1869* John W. Jones - 1872* Thomas Symes - 1873-79in the early days, for the better accommodation of the scattered voters, elections were held two or three successive days in different parts of the town. The "anniversary election" of 1819 was opened at the house of Jesse Bullock, April 27th, andadjourned from there to the house of Strong Warner on the 28th and on the 29th to the house of Russell Trall. Upon the closing of the polls the vote stood as follows:For senator, Gideon Granger, 1 and Lyman Payne 1; Philetus Swift and Nathaniel Garrow, 47. For member of Assembly, James McCall 48, John Dow 26, Clark Crandall 22.According to the records the number of votes polled in 1819 was 48; in 1830, 83The following are the names of those who were returned as jurors from Centreville April 27th 1819 Parckard Bruce, Benjamin Moore, William Palmer, Mark S. White, Clark Hopkins, Benjamin Blanchard, Edward Crowell, Joseph Fox and Abram DaytonUnder date of the 4th day of May, 1819, it is recorded that Russell Trall, James Farwell, Nathaniel Moore, Strong Warner and Simeon Forbes applied to the excise commissioner of Centreville for license to keep inns or taverns and to retail liquorsunder five gallons, and that Jesse Bullock, Lyman Blakesley and Matthew P. C. Cady, "the commissioners, believing the said persons applying to be of good moral character and of sufficient ability to keep an inn or tavern, resolved that" licensesshould be granted in accordance with their petitions. November 10th of the same year license was granted to Joseph Maxson. The great disparity between the number of taverns and the number of votes is explained by the fact that the inns wereneeded for the accommodation of large numbers of emigrants who were at that time journeying to the West by this route. The travel was constant, and it is said all of these primitive hostelries were often filled, and that many applicants foradmission were necessarily refused accommodations inside and were obliged to sleep in the out-buildings or in their wagons.First Land Contracts -- Early SettlementThe first contracts for land in Centreville, granted by the Holland Land Company, were issued in 1808 to Joseph Maxson, Russell Trall, Thomas Clute, Strong Warner, David Gelatt and Samuel Webster.Joseph Maxson was the primitive settler, and as Tuner remarks in the History of the Holland Purchase, his advent into the wilderness of Centreville is worthy of notice. "Leaving his native place (Hartwick, Otsego county) when but eighteen yearsold, he arrived at Pike in April, 1808. Two cents in money, a few articles of provisions and a scanty wardrobe constituted the worldy wealth of our young adventurer. Taking a new pair of shoes from his feet, he bartered them for an ax and pushedinto the wilderness away from any habitation. Selecting his land he erected a rude shanty, and to supply bed and bedding peeled basswood bark, using one piece to separate himself from the ground and another for covering. The snow fell to thedepth of six inches after he fixed himself in his new home. He spent eight months solitary and alone. It is noted on the books of the land office that he had five acres cleared July 28th, 1808, at which date he had his land 'booked' to him,paying nothing down. It is presumed he had only chopped down the timber and burned the brush. He raised the first season a few bushels of corn and potatoes, and in the fall sowed two acres of wheat. Success rewarded the extraordinary efforts ofthe young pioneer. He became," (as we have seen) "an early tavern keeper," and was the owner of a large tract of land, which he sold in after years to remove to Wisconsin, where he erected mills and engaged in lumbering." He preserved, as relicsof his early advent upon the Holland Purchase, one of the two cents mentioned, the ax for which he traded his shoes, an old wooden fan with which he cleared the first wheat ever raised in the town, and one kernel of the seed corn he procured toplant in 1808.Before the close of the year another settler, not mentioned as having contracted land of the Holland Company, made his way into Centreville, and became a resident. This was James Ward, who is credited with having built the first framed barn inthe town and planted the first orchard. David Gelatt came next, accompanied by his brother Abraham.Soon afterward settlement was started a little north of the center of the town, by Zaccheus Spencer, Thomas and Strong Warner and Perkins B. Woodward, from Ashford, Conn. the Warners located about a mile and a half northeast of the village ofCentreville, where Strong Warner afterward kept a public house. He was an enterprising man, and was often chosen to positions of responsibility in the town. a few years since he removed to Michigan, where he died. He has descendants living in thetown. Woodward settled about half a mile north of the village, where he lived until his death, about 1860. He began the manufacture of brick at an early date, and conducted that industry on an extensive scale for that time, abandoning it aboutthirty years ago. He was a leading member of the Presbyterian church.in 1810 Sargent Morrell, from Vermont, settled in the south part of the town. The next year Benjamin Blanchard, from the same State, located on lot number 25. The latter was for many years a resident of the town, but finally removed to Rushford,where he died about ten years ago. Four of his brothers, Mark, Lewis, Abel and Barnes, were also settlers in Centreville, where Mark died about thirty-five and Lewis twenty five or thirty years ago. They all had large families, but their onlyrepresentative in the town at this time is Orville, son of Lewis Blanchard. in 1811 Luther Houghton located in the town. He removed to Caneadea seven years afterward. He was a native of Vermont. He died in 1858, at the age of eighty-five.Among those who settled in Centreville in 1812 were John and Samuel Leach, on lot number 26. The former lived in the town during life, dying about a year since. Other early settlers not already mentioned were ___ Perry, William Foy, ___Carpenter, Eber Hotchkiss, ___ Thatcher, Russell Higgins, Russell Trall, Dr. Calvin Cass and Packard Bruce. Jacob Potter was a settler in 1813, and remained during life.Although Trall was one of those who took articles for and at the office in Batavia in 1808, he does not appear to have become a resident of the town until some time during the progress of the war of 1812. He located where the village now is, anddied there thirty-five years ago or thereabout. One of his children became Mrs. Russell Higgins and is yet living in the town, at an advanced age. One of his sons, Marvin Trall, who was at one time town clerk of Centreville, is a prominentmember of the Wyoming county bar and has served honorably as judge of that county. Russell T. Trall, another son, is a well known physician, lecturer, and medical author of New York.The Terrys and Northrups were early settlers also. Settlement was comparatively rapid after the war in Centreville, as elsewhere on the Holland Purchase.Reuben Potter came in during 1816. He removed to Rushford in 1864.Among the new comers in 1820 was Calvin Couch. He came in from Pike, where his father had settled about ten years previously, and located about a mile northeast of the village of Centreville, where he lived until his death, in 1829. His widowdied in the town early in the present yeArkansas His sons, Jonathan and William B. Couch, are living in the town at the represent time. The former is an incumbent of the offices of justice of his peace, supervisor and postmaster.Hugh Gillis, now living in the village, was a settler in 1825. The only men living in the town who were there at the time he came are Bushnell Woodward, Ezra Woodward, William Terry and Riley Northrup. Mr. Gillis moved in from Ontario county andlocated about one hundred rods from where he now lives.Did space permit it would be interesting to give the names of settlers of a later period, together with the dates of their advent into the town. Such a record as has been given will afford an idea as to who were the pioneers in Centreville, and aglance at the list of successive town officials presented elsewhere will show who were the leading men in public affairs.The population of Centreville inYear Population18301,19518351,42618401,51318451,43618501,44118551,30418601,32318651,18118701,0431875997Some Early Events and BeginningsThe building of the first framed barn and the setting out of the first orchard by James Ward have been mentioned elsewhere.The first birth of a white child in the town was that of Calvin P. Perry, June, 1809, which is also the date of his death. There is no record of an earlier death than his.The first tavern was kept where the village now is, as early as 1810. The pioneer landlord was a man named Thatcher.William Foy and Ruth Morrell were the first couple to unite their hands and fortunes in matrimony, which they did in 1811.Perkins B. Woodward, already referred to as an early settler, was the pioneer pedagogue, opening the first school in the winter of 1813-14.A man named Carpenter erected the first framed house.The first saw-mill was erected on Six Town creek by Eber Hotchkiss and Mark Blanchard in 1813.Four years later (1817), Russell Higgins and Packard Bruce erected the pioneer grist-mill on the same stream. Bruce did not long remain in the town. His son, Edwin S. Bruce, was sheriff of Allegany county. Another son, Charles M. Bruce is anable preacher of the Baptist faith. His daughter became the wife of Senator Teller, of Colorado. Higgins was a well known resident of Centreville until his death, which occurred about 1860.The first store was opened, it is said at the "Centre" as the location of the village was formerly known, in 1820, by Sparrow Smith, who subsequently removed to Pike, Wyoming county. His store and residence are still standing. The former isoccupied by Fred Williams & Colorado. The matter is the property of Mrs. Whitney, of the adjoining town of Hume.Dr. Calvin Cass was the pioneer physician. The second was Dr. Weld. He was followed by Dr. William A. Stacy, father of Dr. O. T. Stacy, of Rushford, who moved in about the year 1828. He lived in the town nearly thirty years, during which heenjoyed an extensive practice, and in 1857 removed to Rushford. Dr. Stewart, Dr. William A. Ware and Dr. Porter Hanks all began practice in the town after the removal of Dr. Stacy. Dr. William M. Body practiced here five years previous to thefall of 1878. The resident practitioners at the present time are Drs. L. G. Waterman and E. I. Fish.Centerville, Fairview and the Welsh Settlement.The early history of Centreville village is given in connection with the record of the progress of events in the town. The village contains three stores, a wagon shop, two blacksmith shops, a cheese factory, two churches and a hotel. Thepopulation is about one hundred and seventy.Fairview is a small hamlet lying partly in the southwest corner of Centreville, partly in Rushford and partly in the southwest corner of Centreville, partly in Rushford and partly in Cattaraugus county. It contains a church (in Centreville), anda few dwellings.The southwestern part of the town is often referred to as the "Welsh Settlement." A large proportion of the population of that section are Welsh, who began to settle there about 1840. They are industrious and thrifty, and most of them haveamassed considerable property. There was formerly a welsh church in the western part of the town, near the county line. The house of worship is now used as a school-house, the members of the society worshipping in Cattaraugus county.Business and Resources -- StatisticsThe progress of a community from the removal of the forest, which originally covered the ground, to the present time, could be traced in its successive business interests. Centreville is now in the enjoyment of a good degree of prosperity, whichhas resulted from gradually changing opportunities for business and traffic within its borders, each of which has developed almost imperceptibly from those which preceded it. With the clearing of the land and the burning of the timber whichencumbered it, and opportunity was presented for speculation in the ashes which lay in the fallows. Leading men in the branch of trade and manufacture were Messrs. Cook, Hale & Company, who had an ashery at an early day where the blacksmith shopof Thomas Jones now stands. Sparrow Smith manufactured pearlash on the Pike road, between 1825 and 1845. The manufacture of lumber was a leading industry for many years, and aided much to render the clearing of the land profitable.Farming was always carried on to some extent, but it assumed a position as an important interest only after the land was well cleared. The soil of Centreville is best adapted to grazing, and during the past few years the town has been advancingto an enviable rank among the dairy towns of the county. The following statistics will be found pertinent in this connection. They are from the report of the census of 1875:* Average number of milch cows kept in the town in 1874 - 1,551; 1875 - 1,706;* Number of cows whose milk was sent to the factory in 1874 - 1,479; 1875 - 1,599;* Amount of butter made in families in 1874 - 42,422 pounds;* Cheese made in families in 1874 - 2,120 pounds;* Gallons of milk sold in market in 1874 - 112;could statistics of a later date be obtained they would show a marked advance in the amount of dairy products since the date mentioned.According to the report of the board of supervisors of Allegany county for the year 1878, the assessed valuation of real estate in Centreville was $258,961; of personal property, $9,100. The amount of county tax assessed was $1,163.30; State tax,$868.86; town tax, $510.68  [5
    Died  16 Jan 1869  Prairie City, McDonough County, Illinois Find all individuals with events at this location  [2
    Buried  16 Jan 1869  plot 'old 31', Leon Cemetery, Leon Corners, Whiteside County, Illinois Find all individuals with events at this location  [16, 17
    Notes 
    • Early settler of Centerville New York, first to be married in Centerville. Regarding William's birth date, reference 'Portrait & Bio. Album of WS Colorado. 1885' for George Foy it states '... William Foy, was a native of Vermont and was born about 1788.' Based on the headstone found in Leon Cemetery, Illinois forWilliam Foy, the actual date of his birth was 1791. This Biography was written 16 years after William Foy's death so the source of the information in 1885 may not have had accurate records. William, Ruth and Irene Foy are mentioned as becoming members of a newly formed Presbyterian church, which was organized November 27 1840 and located in Fountain Green, Hancock County, Illinois. [2, 5, 14]
    Person ID  I216  Sanders
    Last Modified  1 Aug 2010 

    Father  Samuel Foye,   b. Between 1750-1765, Vermont or New Hampshire or Oyster River Parish, Strafford, New Hampshire Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. Bef 1819, near Lyndon, Caledonia County, Vermont Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Mother  Sarah,   b. Abt 1768, New Hampshire Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 17 Jun 1844, New York Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Married  Bef 1791 
    Family ID  F597  Group Sheet

    Family  Ruth Morrill,   b. Abt 1791, Danville, Vermont Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 21 Sep 1864, Prophetstown Township, Whiteside County, Illinois Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Married  1811  Centerville, Allegany County, New York Find all individuals with events at this location  [18
    Children 
    >1. Mary Foy,   b. 1812 or 1814, Cattaraugus County, New York Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 4 Sep 1871, Whiteside County, Illinois Find all individuals with events at this location
     2. Sarah? Foy,   b. Between 1810-1815
    >3. George W. Foy, Sr.,   b. 29 Aug 1818, Allegany County, New York Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 16 May 1896, North Fork, Barton County, Missouri Find all individuals with events at this location
     4. Phoebe Foy,   b. Abt 1820,   d. Aft 1885
    >5. John A. Foy,   b. 10 Jun 1820, Napoli, Cattaraugus County, New York Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 21 Jul 1876, near Leon, Whiteside County, Illinois Find all individuals with events at this location
    >6. Daniel Foy,   b. 31 Jul 1822, Napoli, Cattaraugus County, New York Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 6 Mar 1899, Tampico, Whiteside County, Illinois Find all individuals with events at this location
    >7. Irene Lucretia Foy,   b. 1823, Vermont Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. Abt 1851
    >8. Mahala 'Mahaley' Jane Foy,   b. 1826, New York Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. Aft 1885
    >9. Harriet N Foy,   b. Oct 1830, New York Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. Aft 1910
    >10. Lucinda F. Foy,   b. Jul 1833, New York Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 1912
    >11. William Foy, Jr.,   b. 1834, New York Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 1900
    Documents
    Census Records - Foy
    Census Records - Foy
    Federal and State Census records
    Family ID  F162  Group Sheet

  • Headstones
    Cemetery - Leon
    Cemetery - Leon
    Leon, Whiteside County, Illinois
    Status:

  • Sources 
    1. [S1] George Foy, 1880 Census

    2. [S6] Biography - George Foy.

    3. [S130] Cemetery - Leon Cemetery.
      BD: 12/20/1791

    4. [S167] 1850 Illinois State Census.
      State NH, year 1791

    5. [S24] History of Allegany Co., New York, The Town of Centerville, (Edited by F. W. Beers).

    6. [S110] William Foy, Ella A. Sibley (Mrs. Charles E. Van Aken).

    7. [S185] 1820 US Federal Census.

    8. [S184] 1830 US Federal Census.

    9. [S169] 1840 McDonough Co, Illinois Census.

    10. [S183] 1840 US Federal Census.

    11. [S167] 1850 Illinois State Census.

    12. [S382] 1855 Illinois State Census.

    13. [S181] 1860 US Federal Census.

    14. [S258] History of Whiteside County, Illinois : from its first settlement to the present time, with numerous biographical and family sketches. Morrison, Ill.:, Bent, Charles, (Morrison, Ill.: unknown, 1877).

    15. [S112] The History of Cattaraugus County, New York - Illustrations and Biographical Sketches of Some of its Prominent Men and Pioneers - Chapter on the town of Napoli, Transcribed by Mary Anne Lee - August 2004, (Philadelphia: L. H. Everts).

    16. [S18] Leon Cemetery, Illinois - Foy Family.

    17. [S130] Cemetery - Leon Cemetery.

    18. [S23] French's Gazetteer of the State of New York, 1860.